VERY IMPORTANT THIS WEEK is the “special session” of the North Carolina General Assembly, which will exist in its present form (a veto-proof majority of far right white men) only a short time longer. They are trying to do all the damage they can in the time they have left. We want to make sure they know we are watching, and in large numbers. This is so important that for the first time in 97 weeks, Tuesdays with TIllis will meet at 1 East Jones Street, Raleigh at “All Roads Lead to Raleigh: Moral Day of Action” and “Democracy accountability day of action” instead of our usual location. We are joining the Poor People’s Campaign, Repairers of the Breach, NC NAACP, Democracy NC, NCVCE, and Progress NC to demand that this lame duck, illegally elected legislature pass only hurricane recovery funds and then go home. If you can possibly come, please do. See also, “The next big battle in North Carolina is just days away” by Rob Schofield of NC Policy Center.
Schedule of Events:
– 10 am – Begin to assemble in the Bicentennial Mall
– 10:45am – Press Conference
– 11:20am – March into legislature two by two; march up to galleries.
– 12pm to 1pm – Silent Protest in the atrium
– 1pm – Lunch break
– 2pm – Support Just Florence Recovery partners at tent city
– 3pm-5pm – Possible evening protests